my search to understand the bigger picture


Saturday, April 7, 2012

VOTD-April 7


"But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer."

Luke 5:16. I was reminded of this yesterday, as I took the girls to play at a local park. There's a lake there, and about 10 miles worth of trails. I love this verse, and notice 3 distinct words that stand out to me.

  • Often. Jesus did this often enough for the author to note it. I wish the same could be said for me.
  • Wilderness. I fully believe it's beneficial to get out in nature, especially this day and age to get away from the distractions of cell phones, internet, and people.But really, the word wilderness to me brings to mind that Jesus simply got away from everything. Removed himself from any and all distractions.
  • Prayer. These times had a purpose. Jesus went to hang out with his Father. I think that's important to keep in mind.

Today is a special day because my parents are celebrating their 40th anniversary! My heart breaks because we couldn't celebrate with
them in person. But I can't speak highly enough of them, and their commitment to each other. They have been committed for a long time, to make their marriage mutually beneficial, and they serve each other

like few couples I've ever seen. To say they've set a great example for me does not do it justice.


Last night I went and got my first running related tattoo. Here's a pic:



The letters stand for Is The Prize Not Worth The Price. Deep meaning for me both in running, and in life. The skeleton foot and battered wing, that's not all there anymore represents how I feel after ultras, and sometimes life. But the prize far out ways the price it requires to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment