my search to understand the bigger picture


Thursday, April 12, 2012

VOTD-April 12

John 13:34-35

"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples-when they see the love you have for each other."

It really is a shame how much we hate on each other. Christians that is. Not only different denominations, but even within our own denominations and churches. We gossip. We slander. We talk behind each other's back. Ever stop to think how sick and twisted that is?

Jesus said everyone will recognize that we belong to Him by the way we treat each other. Hmmmmm, it's no wonder the world thinks what they do about Christians. It's no wonder they think that way about me.

And this is where I think many of us miss the boat. We feel a moral obligation to speak truth into everyone's lives, instead of speaking love into their lives. Think about this for a moment, do people need truth, or love? Ok, they need both. But which should come first? I submit to you, that until we love people, they will never want to hear the "truth" you so desperately want to share with them.

While we are at it, why do you feel the need to "correct" people anyways? Did Jesus ever commission you to do that? Did he do that? He did with the religious leaders who should have known better. But did He with the everyday Mary Jane?

He says it right here, "Love one another".
In
The
Same
Way
I
Loved
You.

No comments:

Post a Comment