my search to understand the bigger picture


Friday, April 6, 2012

VOTD-April 6

This passage from Isaiah got me thinking about Good Friday, since it is Good Friday, and the price Jesus paid for me.

"But now, God's Message, the God who made you in the first place, Jacob, the One who got you started, Israel: 'Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You're mine. When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end--Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That's how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you."

You know, one would think that the fact that Jesus gave his life for me would cause more loyalty on my part. All too often my actions do not line up with my words. There's too much of a disconnect there. I'm such a visual person, and I think too many it's difficult for me to comprehend because I didn't actually see Jesus up on the cross in person. I remember the first time I watched The Passion, at a pre release screening at Willow Creek and listened to Bill Hybels interview Mel Gibson. That was quite shocking. But these are simply excuses. I claim to love Jesus. Thus, if I truly do love Him, my actions will reflect that. For some reason, the thought is stuck in my head that because of the sacrifice Jesus made, I've got to earn that gift. But that's so wrong. There's nothing to earn! Jesus freely gave this gift. All there's left to do is accept it, and live in that reality.

So, today I reflect with tremendous thanksgiving on what exactly Jesus went through for me. I recommit my love to Jesus today, in word and action. I recommit myself to developing a relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment