my search to understand the bigger picture


Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Daddy


this is what i think of when i think of my dad.  family.  he loves getting our family together.  he loves my brother and i.  he loves our wives as his own daughters.  he loves all of our children.  he loves tickling the "grands"; well really he loves doing anything with them.  he loves Captain Sundae (don't we all).  he loves working with his hands, either gardening or woodworking.  he would do anything to help someone else out.  he's a tremendously hard worker.  he's honest.  compassionate.  caring.  loving. everything you'd want in a man.  and let's not forget, he grows a pretty fierce beard!  (must be where i got my facial hair growing ninja skillz).

but, most importantly, he loves Jesus, and he loves my mom.  there really aren't 2 things that would have been better for me to see over the years.  one of my earliest and most commons memories of my dad are that when i'd get up first thing in the morning, he'd be dressed for work, sitting on the coach, reading his bible.  i absolutely love that there are so many things that my parents love to do together.  i love that when my brother and i were out of college (had been for a few years) that the three of us were able to go hike the Porcupine Mountains together.  one of the best trips of my life!

i love that almost every year our families all gather together at my aunt's cottage.  i love sitting on the deck there and just talking for hours with my dad.  i love going kayaking with him.  i love that he'd rather sit and talk with me than watch a movie.  i love that he'd rather listen to what's going on in my life than work on another project.  i love that he desperately wants to play with my kids.

one day, i hope my own children can write as pleasantly about me as i feel about him today.  dad, i love you.  thank you so much for being who you are.  thanks for allowing us to see you walk with God in faith, even if some of those times didn't turn out how you'd hoped.  that has helped me to see that it's more about the obedience than the destination.  we develop an intimacy with jesus when we walk hand in hand with him, allowing him to guide us that we just can't have otherwise.  this was an observation you've help me see over the years.

dad, you are amazing.  and i cannot wait to see you in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i love you dad!

love, your son,

thad

No comments:

Post a Comment