my search to understand the bigger picture


Monday, January 28, 2013

High Ground



last week i was privileged to watch the documentary High Ground at a local theater.  5 friends joined me for a powerful 2 hours of the movie and a meet and greet after with one of the veterans featured in the film, Steve Baskis.  here's a quick synopsis from the film's website:  

Eleven veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan join an expedition to climb the 20,000 foot Himalayan giant Mount Lobuche. With blind adventurer Erik Weihenmayer and a team of Everest summiters as their guides, they set out on an emotional and gripping climb to reach the top in an attempt to heal the emotional and physical wounds of the longest war in U.S. history.

Representing nearly every branch of the military, the veterans, and the Gold Star Mom who joins their trek, bring humor and deep emotion to this hero’s journey all captured with breathtaking, vertigo-inducing cinematography by three-time Emmy® winner, director Michael Brown.

there were many solid moments to write about, but on cut me to the core.  Steve Baskis was talking about his friend who died in the blast that caused Steve to go blind.  

"His death changed my life forever.  I look at it like I need to live my life as best as possible to go and experience everything that I can in the time that I have left on this planet, and enjoy any experiences that come my way."


this is exactly the way we out to live our lives as Christians.  his death and resurrection changed all eternity, and we out to live in such a way as to hold nothing back.  i have no idea where Steve stands with Jesus.  but i do know, on that night, i was challenged in a way i haven't been in a long time.  it was good.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for response to Steve and our film High Ground! We wish you well, and am so glad that you got to go!

    ReplyDelete