my search to understand the bigger picture


Monday, September 5, 2011

Family Fun-Labor Day 2011



We began our door by enjoying the festivities of a little kung fu fighting with a praying mantis! (that song always pops into my head when I see one of these) I think I was more enthralled than Zoey, but I enjoyed a few moments with our new found friend anyways. We were excstatic when he happily olbiged at having his picture taken!



So, we attempted to take the girls camping last night. Well, sort of.




All the spots during this weekend around the country are probably full every year. So, we decided to just do a little campout in our backyard. I put up the tent (two actually), got a fire going, and we were on a roll. It's never quite this simple when doing anything involved with children. They actually did well. The fire was the tricky part since it had rained on and off the last two days, making the wood a little wet. My first go around was unsuccessful, so I resorted to what all non-outdoorsy types resort to, GASOLINE! (much to my wife's disapproval). Thankfully, I'm blessed to have Emily around to keep me under control, so I dripped a few drops of gasoline on the wood, nowhere near enough, and it did nothing. So I dumped some more on, and nearly knocked myself over as I lit the instantaneous inferno, and all was right with the universe.




WE HAD FIRE!




We feasted on perfectly roasted hot dogs, chips, cheese puffs, pop, and eventually moved on to the GRAND FINALE, s'mores!








This s'more was amazing, to say the least! I did in fact, only eat one of these bohemoths, but it got the ball rolling. My next s'more adventure may include pop tarts, peanut butter cups, and who knows what else I can come up with. THIS one included:


graham cracker
peanut butter
1/2 Hershey chocolate bar
marshmellow
chocolate brownie
marshmellow
1/2 Hershey chocolate bar
peanut butter
graham cracker


Oh yes, it was the SHOWSTOPPER! Once we finished with the s'mores, we attempted to put the children to bed. It's quite possible that Zoey finally fell asleep after about an hour, but no one can stand up to the best sabotage attempts of our youngest, our dear little Hadley. She just likes to mess with people. She's the ultimate prankster, even at the young age of 3. Finally, I think it was about 10:30 or so, we decided it would be best for Emily and Zoey to head inside so that they could at least get some sleep. I cuddled with Hadley and eventually we dozed off for a few hours. We finally awoke to the cool, crisp morning air, and the first words out of her mouth.........."You're the best daddy in the world!"


Music to my ears! Totally worth every second! What more could a dad ask for? We sat in the tent for a few moments before coming inside, only to find Zoey already awake. Hmmmmmm, I'm thinking the girls will definitely be put to bed early today for naps. Hopefully they behave for Emily today while I'm trail running, attempting to run off that 10 pound gigantic s'more.


So, for now, strong coffee is the order of the day. And thinking back on some great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment