my search to understand the bigger picture


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Overdose


Around every corner is the lure to consume.

A desire to be satisfied.

Unfortunately no human being has found anything under the sun that brings satisfaction.

So we consume more, and more, and more.

Eventually we overdose.

However, there is hope if Christianity is our rehab.

In Jesus satisfaction can be found. Grace, love, peace and hope can be found....and there is always more.

Consume more of Jesus.

OVERDOSE.

This was on the inside jacket cover of Lecrae's latest album, called Rehab: The Overdose. I like it because this is exactly what's been on my mind lately; my attempts to satisfy myself with consuming things. Even tonight, I found myself wishing I could even just go to Goodwill to get a couple of clothes that were new to me. Why? Do I need anymore clothes? Um, my closet is overflowing with stuff. In fact, I have so much, most days I have a hard time deciding what to wear because of the sheer volume of it all. I mean, for real, I've got issues!

Where does this desire for more come from? Satan, plain and simple. I believe it's one of a thousand different distractions he's waged against us to take our eyes off of Jesus. It doesn't take much to "convince" me that all I need is something new to make me happy. And then the next day it's the same thing all over again. Things will never bring about the satisfaction I so desperately desire. So why do I run from the one thing I know will bring that satisfaction?

Christ came to give us life to the fullest. Most people I know with tons of "stuff" are always consumed with the newest stuff that's going to come out or just has come out. Rarely are people like me satisfied with simply knowing Jesus.

I'm ashamed of this. And that's why I'm confessing this today to the few who will read it. Much of the time my desire for things outweighs my desire for God. This ought not to be. I can say the right things, and even do the right things. But more often than not, if I let my mind wander, it heads down the road of dreaming about stuff, rather than focusing on Christ. I am a sinful man.

When you see me, ask me if I'm thinking about God or thinking about stuff. I want to be a person that has been transformed by Jesus in my life. I want to search and desire only Him, and nothing of this world. I don't want to be a slave to things anymore. I only want to be a slave to Christ.

I WANT TO OVERDOSE ON JESUS!

1 comment:

  1. You say this so well -- sometimes the stuff is material, sometimes it's food, sometimes it's relationships. Then there's alcohol, drugs, and a host of other addictive "stuff".

    Thanks for opening your heart.

    ReplyDelete