my search to understand the bigger picture


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Act of Valor

I've been looking forward to this movie for a really long time now. I am really looking forward to the day when I get to view it for the first time. A good friend of mine wrote a post a day or two ago, and mentioned something in the movie that has really grabbed ahold of me. As I understand it, this was a quote from a letter once of the men in the movie wrote to his son.

"When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

WOW! Powerful words. This got me thinking simply about how I live my own life. When I die, will I sit there on my death bed, wishing I could go back in time and risk a little bit more, love a little bit more, give a little bit more?

I refuse to live this life with regret. I wish that were true. There are so many things I already regret, but this thought process is one that's gripped my heart. I don't want to live my life looking back over my shoulder, wishing I could have acted differently. Life should be lived by taking advantage of EVERY moment, going full speed ahead to advance God's Kingdom. That seems so far from where I'm currently at. Philippians 3:13-14 states "Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." I want to look forward to what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment