my search to understand the bigger picture


Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I'm Getting The Sense That God's Trying To Tell Me Something....

Felt pretty overwhelmed this morning. I get that way sometimes. I'd say half the time there's some legitimacy to the feeling, the other half there isn't. Often I just get overwhelmed easily. Being busy, constantly on the go, trying to keep 20 different plates spinning all at the same time is DEFINITELY not my bag. Quite the opposite actually. However, that does not usually get rewarded so much in our culture.........

So I found myself glancing through my daily reading this morning as I work through the One Year Bible. Was reading through Luke 5 when verse 16 stopped me dead in my tracks.......

"But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer."

I shut off my phone and spent 10 minutes just pondering that. My thoughts raced from "Hey, I should go for a quick walk in Busey Woods" to "Nope, can't do that. Too much work to do." Back and forth and back and forth.

I did some work, and then read some from a book titled "The Practice Of The Presence Of God" by Brother Lawrence. It's a great book that I've read quite a few times before.

Did some more work. Thought some about going for a walk in the woods. Didn't. Then my boss posted an article on Facebook titled "Are You Suffering From FOMO (Fear of missing out)? Five Steps to Restore Margin in Your Life"

Interesting timing. Did some more work. Read a few more pages out of Brother Lawrence. Just delaying the inevitable really. I think God is calling me out to Busey Woods. After my lunch meeting, I'm going. I may be hard headed, but I've learned when to say uncle. Yes Jesus, I will retreat to the wilderness with you this afternoon. It's a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment