my search to understand the bigger picture


Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's Not Always Easy

Yesterday I posted about how I stay motivated with running. I'm diligent in reading up on runners and watching videos of their exploits. This is done on a very regular basis in order to keep that fire burning.

More importantly, how do I keep that fire burning for Jesus? I mean, running is great. But at the end of the day, it doesn't do much more than keep me in shape. Sure, I do feel better after running. But what if I have a bad run? What if I get injured and can no longer run? Then what?

My identity has to come from my relationship with Jesus. He's the ONLY constant in my life. He's the same yesterday, today, and forever. Someone I can ALWAYS count on. The Holy Spirit is there to help me understand His ways, and help me go about my day in a way that pleases Him, and is best for me and all those around me.

But to be honest, I need help. If it was simply up to me, I would do a horrible job following him. I need inspiration on a regular basis from others to continue striving to follow Jesus as best I can. Where do I find that?

First and foremost, I find it amongst those I spend time with. My wife. My co-workers at church. Those involved in small group at our church. My friends. My family. These people inspire beyond anything I can see in running. I see things they do, words they speak, attitudes they exhibit, and how can I not be inspired. How can I not see that there's more for me to learn in my walk with Jesus by being around these people?

One final though. Something else that moves me is music. Music makes me want to be more like Jesus that many other things. Here's a sneak peak, one of the songs I've come to love the most.


How do you do it? How are you inspired to follow Jesus more closely?

No comments:

Post a Comment