my search to understand the bigger picture


Thursday, August 4, 2011

Waiting on God

These days our lives seem to be defined by how busy we are. We wear it like a badge of honor. There are few things people pridefully acknowledge more than how insanely packed their daily schedules are. Let's face it; we LOVE being in a hurry.

And yet, I think most of us despise it at the same time.

We long for an easier life, simpler schedules, a chance just to catch our breath. It's quite humorous, because most of the time when I get a break, I get so stir crazy I end up finding stuff to do. Doesn't matter what it is. I struggle to sit still. I struggle with waiting.

I'm in a mini discipleship group on Wednesday mornings with a group of guys from church. We are going through a book on leadership and talked about a chapter yesterday that dealt with this very topic. In all honesty, it was about waiting on God.

How many of us have learned the art of waiting, let alone waiting on God? We will rush into any situation, rush any decision just to check it off our to do list before moving onto the next item. There's something that feels so satisfying about crossing items off a to do list. But in our haste, we end up treating God much the same way. And then we wonder why we are stressed, why we feel burdened, frustrated, burnt out, down in the dumps, etc.

I came across Isaiah 40:31 just a moment ago. I've heard this many times over the years, especially in regards to running. And yet, another part of this totally captured my attention just now.

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." --Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)

That first phrase is what caught me. The rest ONLY happens if we wait on the Lord. WOW! I mean, we are talking epiphany here folks! I knew this, but I didn't really know it, know what I mean?

When was the last time I simply waited on God? Truly sat at His feet, and just waited on Him, fully engulfed in His presence, no rush to move on, nothing else on my mind, just captivated by Christ?

This sounds pretty good to me. Think I'll put this into practice right now. And while I'm waiting, maybe while you wait, ponder what Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV) has to say....

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."

Go, and wait...........

No comments:

Post a Comment