my search to understand the bigger picture


Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Thoughts

We had a guest speaker this past weekend at church. We even created a conference around him being here. It was great. First night of the conference was Friday. I was overwhelmed within the first hour.

I have a love/hate relationship with conferences. I get information overload extremely easily, possibly faster than anyone I know. It takes a long time for something to get from my mind to my heart, especially when I've heard something that I really want to chew on. Conferences are usually so packed with information, that I rarely have enough time to sort through it all and work to apply what was worth the time. TONS of great stuff this past weekend, just not enough time for me to digest it all.

However, one thing did stick with me. The speaker mentioned Proverbs 3 at some point. I made a note, and somehow came back to it, and checked it out in The Message Bible. Here's a few verses, "Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all." That's what stuck with me from this past weekend.

I claim to be a Christian. And yet, too often my thoughts are far from God. That's not ok. That's like saying I'm a runner, and yet going out for a run once a month, or once a year. Just doesn't make sense. All too often, I'm doing things in my own strength (which isn't much), trying to figure out things for myself (I'm not that smart). Rarely do I slow down enough to listen for God's voice, let alone in everything that I do, and everywhere I go. I allow too much into my life to distract me.

A sign hangs above my front door in our living room. It says SIMPLIFY. I think it might be time for some of that again. I'm not going to tell you how I'm going about it, or what I've already done. That's just for me. But yes, I'm trying to remove some distractions, clutter if you will, from my life. I don't want anything to get in God's way in my life. I want my claims (I'm a Christian) to be backed up by actions again. I want to be love in people's lives, not just say the words.


No comments:

Post a Comment